7.14.2013

Caro Emerald - Back It Up

After a surprisingly busy and tiring day of city exploring, train chasing, performing and birthday celebrating, I thought I'd completely pass out cold on the bed when we got home. Surprisingly, Gerie, Baki and I still managed to somehow gather a bit of energy, to sit down in the living room and talk. You know I like good conversations.

This one in particular was something I'll always remember. Baki will highly likely forget it (knowing her memory, and the fact she was the first to give in to the exhaustion), and Gerie might never know it and may forget that night but I got to know her a lot more in the little things she had said. I regret not hugging her, at the time I didn't know if I should. We were both missing someone dear to us.

I asked Gerie what type of songs she liked, wanting to discover a little more of the Dutch music scene. I could tell that she could sing; you could hear it in the little melodic inflections when she greats us good morning or when she says goodbye to someone on the phone. So it wasn't surprising to find out that she sang in their local choir. They even have a CD! She gets incredibly enthusiastic about pointing out her parts in the song as was I to listen to it. I love such people! 

So this song comes on the radio. I had asked earlier that night at the de Jongs if they knew a singer named Sabrina Starke. She's pretty much the only Dutch singer I know, or at least one whose nationality I was aware of. (how I came to know her obviously began in some vain form of googling.) None of the Dutch people I mentioned her to knew of Sabrina Starke. So I'm like, oh well, she's not that famous then.

"Oh, this one. I really like this song. It's Caro Emerald."

I already half-engrossed in the song before she had mentioned it. A few google searches later, I'm surprised I haven't heard of this artist before. She's great! Thanks Gerie!





So get that needle in the core 
Scratch that back and gimme more 
You know exactly what I came here for 
Back it up and do it again

No comments: