7.03.2013

Sambasunda Quintet - Jaleuleu Ja

I might be in Norway, but my the song currently stuck in my head is Indonesian! (Probably because I can pronounce Indonesian better than Norwegian.XD)

The past few days had been spent inside a classroom creating music pieces that feature an odd combination of Norwegian, Philippine and Indonesian instruments and styles of music. The whole process of collaboration and creation has been an interesting experience to say the least; you can imagine me sitting there starting out confused: someone starts to play an instrument, then someone else starts to sing over the music, another instruments comes in, then it all adds up in the end. By the time everyone stops playing, you're left with a wide smile on your face because you know you just created something wonderful.

One such instance was when Elisabeth was singing a Norwegian lullaby, flowy and melodic, then all of a sudden the Indonesians, Rekah, Yani and Nendar, starts to softly chant the Jaleuleu Ja over her singing. I so badly want to chant with them, but obviously I couldn't understand the words. I had to learn it on the next coffe/tea break!

As they were teaching me the lyrics, I found out from Yani that the song didn't really mean anything. (except for the part where a cat got accidentally hit by a falling bamboo and it sad, "Ngek!" haha) It reminds me of a similar nonsensical Filipino song, Bagbagtu. This just proves that Southeast Asia is much too carefree, you can totally sing nonsense if you want!




Jaleuleu ja
Tulak tu ja éman - gog
Seureuh leuweung - bay
Jambé kolot - bug
Ucing katinggang songsong - Ngék!

Jaleuleu Ja, I found out, is a song from Sambasunda, a Indonesian music group that also does fusion especially on Sudanese music. It was founded by Ismet Ruchimat who I had the wonderful opportunity to meet and learn from here in Norway. As I read up more, I felt that Sambasunda almost seems like Kontra-Gapi's Indonesian brother! 

No comments: