8.28.2013

Carly Rose Sonenclar - Brokenhearted

Upon hearing "Feeling Good" on my playlist, I suddenly remembered little miss Carly Rose's auditon for X-Factor USA. I only saw that performance on Youtube, and I can still remember how absolutely floored I was with what I heard the second she opened her mouth. I start to wonder, hmm, whatever happened to her? Late in game, I know.

One Google search later, I found out she went pretty far in the competition; dude 1st runner-up! A bajillion Youtube searches later led me from one performance to another and she's always so consistently good! Damn, if only I could have her sense of musicality at that age, and her tooone!

This here particular performance of hers is a easy favorite for me. (it even tops her audition piece! which I so loved.) I have massive respect for singers who write their own songs, but next to that are the singers who can interpret any song into their own. It takes more than just having a new arrangement; we all know that doesn't always work.

Take this one for example. 'Brokenhearted' is a song by Karmin, whose original arrangement is incredibly upbeat and fun. I do enjoy Karmin and all, but even when I first heard it, I was a bit confused with the song. A happy song about a heartache? Bipolar much?

Then I heard THIS. Now this sounds like a broken heart!


In a daze, going crazy, I can barely think 

You're replaying in my brain, find it hard to sleep, 
Waiting for my phone to blow

Bummer the whole song wasn't aired, because I totally prefer this slow version over the original. I did find another youtuber, Michala Todd, covering the entire song in the same style: alternate here! :)

No comments: