8.31.2013

Ukulele Underground Philippines - Bahay Kubo

It's that time of the year again- all day all night jamming on campus! Yes, it's Magdamagang Pukpukan, and yes, we did a 24 hour marathon because it's our 24th anniversary: 7am Friday until 7am Saturday, and I was present for 19 of the 24 hours!

Crazy right? I've been saying that since our 22nd anniversary but as you can see, crazy doesn't mean impossible. And though I've been consistently against (albeit passively) this incredibly stressful and tiring event, I admit, I've enjoyed it immensely, especially this year! Well maybe because I took a backseat and didn't involve myself much in the organization of this year's MP. Ah, the joys of being an audience member.

I totally fangirled all afternoon during the lecture series (I even have the fangirl photos to prove it!) Joey Ayala was incredibly fun to listen to as always. Eudenice Palaruan made me want to join a choir again, but only under his direction! Heber Bartolome and his band are much too awesome (note to self: learn guitar, attend his songwriting workshops) and last but most definitely not least, and probably the highlight of my day: OMG. JESS SANTIAGO REMEMBERS ME! 

These one sentence summaries do not properly reflect all the feels I had that afternoon; I will have to devote an entirely different journal entry for this or else I'll just go on and on and that part was just 6 of the 24 hours!

The evening was allotted for our guest performers:

The Concert Chorus
(and Prof. Jai Aracama's powerful solo!)
Katribu Kolektib
UP Filipiniana,
Margaret of Polecats Manila,
PUP Banda Kawayan,
UP Dance Sport Society, (total win on gender-bender partners! absolutely loved it!)
Fire Flow Artist Resty Yalung,
Kaya Green Band,
SulatKamay,
The UP Repertory Company,
Ciudad Tribu,

Malate Literary Folio,
Ukulele Underground Philippines,
Bunga Arts Link  (documentation purposes, pagbigyan mo na. HAHA)

One of my favorite performances of the night was Ukulele Underground Philippines (UUP)'s interesting version of Bahay Kubo. Without looking at the video description, can you guess the mash-up tune? ;D



No comments: