8.02.2013

JImmy Fallon, Robin Thicke, The Roots - Blurred Lines

The first time I encountered this song was with this fun cover on the Late Show with Jimmy Fallon and the Roots. I really liked how the song goes, as it's quite fun and catchy. I proceeded to listen to the studio version on Soundcloud and it's been endlessly on repeat.

After further googling, I saw that the song is stirring up quite a controversy. I didn't really understand why until I saw the music video. I admit, I was taken aback when I first saw the uncensored video for this song. Naked women and fully clothed men: I was ready to call out bullshit, sexism and female objectification.

But as the video progressed, I got over the nakedness of these girls and I realized, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would go. They were simply walking around, and well randomly dancing and having a bit of fun. There was no humping, and hardly any touching, nor any overtly sexual dancing or gestures. They weren't even fawning over the guys like they were gods. Sometimes it even seemed like the guys didn't exist to them. The brunette was being pretty goofy actually.

Sure there were things in the MV that I objected to, though I honestly think it wasn't as horrid as people have put it out to be, yet neither did I think highly of it. But was it the most sexist and degrading thing i've ever seen? No. I felt offended by a lot worst. (Bubble Butt is horrible.) I actually had more issues with the censored version. To compensate for the not being nude anymore, the girls were seemingly trying harder to be sexy.

What I do note about this whole thing was that they definitely wanted to be talked about. I don't for one minute believe that they didn't expect so much backlash and angry comments or reviews about the naked girls. They knew they'd elicit such a reaction. So for them to argue back that they trying to 'empower' women with a music video like that is laughable. Yeah right. They should have been naked along with the girls too. But I doubt the guys would have looked half appealing. Yeah, just go hide yourselves in your suits. 

But the point is, do the music the exact same way, and it probably wouldn't have stirred up so much attention. It was the people's reaction to nakedness. It shouldn't matter whether these girls are naked or fully clothed. Being barenaked shouldn't be something degrading.

Though for others, it wasn't necessarily the music they took offense with, but the content of the song itself. To me this was a just silly song, even to the singers/writers because it's obvious that even with the lyrics they were far from serious. I never gave it much thought until it was pointed out to me that the line in the chorus sounds like what most rapists would argue back to a victim. "I know you want it." and the "blurred lines" of consent to sex. Mix those lyrics to the very visual nature of the music video, then I understood how this could strike a sensitive chord to some.

Obviously this is the unpopular opinion, and I quite understand why not many people will agree with me and that's alright. I'd never make someone else listen to this if they don't want to, nor will I try to convince anyone else that they're just being too sensitive about the song. As for me, I just genuinely like it for the fun beat, and it's a fact I can't deny. 


You wanna hug me
Hey, hey, hey
What rhymes with hug me?
Hey, hey, hey

No comments: