5.25.2006

American Idol 5 Season Finale

I wasn't actually expecting much from the season finale since I was quite let down from yesterday's performances, but thank GOD I was wrong, I thought it was awesome! I haven't been this high since... ever!

This was the first time I actually enjoyed the judges introductions, especially Simon touching himself. haha. I mean I love Simon, but what's up with the tiny T's and the man boobs?

In the previous finales, they usually check up on the finalists' hometown fans throught out the show. But since Kat's fans didn't show up in mobs like Taylor's, I mean, come on! She lives in Los Angeles, her fans would want to see her live in the Kodak Theatre than stay out in Universal Studios wouldn't they?

So instead of that, the producers came up with "The Golden Idol Awards." It was fun, although the winners were obvious of course..
Outstanding Female Vocal - Princess Brewer
I understand why she didn't show up to accept the award, but I still wonder what might've happened if she did. Maybe, just maybe Aretha Franklin sang with her... haha

Outstanding Male Vocal - Dave Hoover
typical Dave Hoover. I'm not sure if he's really that crazy, or he just likes the attention. They say he went on flailing himself until the after party.

Proudest Family Moment - Claudette Yamin
Aaaaw. I actually thought Katharine's Dad would win. Then again, Eliott's mom deserved it more.

Randy Jackson Award - Rhonetta Johnson
Award for eloquence. Damn she has a wide vocabulary doesn't she?

Best Impersonation - Michael Sandecki
I really enjoyed this one, and when Clay Aiken stepped out, I'm like, woah... He looks good! haha, The Beatles haircut fits him well, not so gaylike anymore. And it's just amusing looking at Sandecki singing and acting like an awestruck fan.

Best Male Bonding - Brokenote Cowboys
I actually thought that maybe Garth Brooks or Tim Mcgraw might pop out and sing with them. Ah well, they did have talent, I guess they didn't want anyone to steal their thunder.
Aside from the Idol contestants own performances, what made the show damn good was of course the musical guests!

Let's see, last year if my memory serves me right, it was Rascall Flatts, Babyface, Kenny G., Lynrd Skynrd and ahahaha David Hasslehoff. So what's so different with this year's finale? Well, bigger, better guests and the element of surprise.

**Paris w/ Al Jarreau
The only thing I ever knew of Al Jarreau is that he's the guy with a soulful voice who sang "Teach Me Tonight", a song I wanted to play during our Grad Ball, then again no one in my batch would appreciate it. (oh well.) I didn't even know he was alive.. ahehe...

**Chris w/ Live
Remember early in the competition when Chris was highly praised with his rock rendition of Johnny Cash's "Walk The Line"? I think it was awesome too, but a lot of rock fans got furious with him because this rocker version was originally performed by the band "Live". Chris made it look like it was his idea... that's why by the next week, Ryan Seacrest ask him about it in those mini interviews he does before Chris' performance. He said Live was a favorite band of his, and that's where he got the idea. So I guess they were invited on the finale for credit, to show it's all good. lol.

**Katharine w/ Meat loaf
When Ryan Seacrest introduced Meat Loaf, I was like, what? they got him on the show?? woa... Yeah, he's gotten old, and the shaky voice didn't sound very nice know, but that performance won't take away his Grammy now would it? So it didn't really matter. And heck, he and Katharine sang "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" like it was a Broadway show. He did do theatre you know, and so did Kat.

Meat loaf, as funny as his name sounds, is someone I might never forget. Everytime someone would mention Meat loaf, I'd instantly remember the music video of "I'd do Anything For Love", which was slightly creepy but It had a Beauty and the Beast theme about it... There was Meat Loaf, with make-up so he looked hideous, and a Goddess-like woman in a bathtub. I haven't seen this video in years, and from what I just learned, this was released way back in 1993. I wasn't necesserily the video, but the song itself. I'll be putting up the music and the lyrics if anyone is interested to know what I'm talking about.

**Eliott w/ Mary J. Blige
As Eliott sang, I was quite bothered with the overlapping voice of a back-up singer, doing some runs i the song. Was it deliberate? they answered my question when Mary J. Blige came out... aaah.. so it wasn't a back up singer... I love Mary J. Blige, but she kinda stole Eliott's moment there... mom's still proud though. lol.

**Taylor w/ Toni Braxton
Toni Braxton looked wonderful and all, but I just couldn't understand a word she was singing!

**Idol contestants w/ Dionne Warwick & Burt Bacharach
The Burt Bacharach medley was already heaven for me, so many fine classics, but top it off with Dionne Warwick!!! I was a madwoman! I so wanted to be in the Kodak Theatre. She even sang 'Walk On By'... aww. the cherry on top. delicious!

**Prince w/ two very limber girls
Ryan Seacrest saying there are no more surprises, was like him saying there was one. so obvious, but of course no one expected it'd be Prince. haha... I understand why no one had a duet with him. No one had his range. He looked even more like Michael Jackson didn't he?



.:: FULL LYRICS
.:: Listen

No comments: