5.06.2006

Walk On By - Dionne Warwick

Two days ago my older sister turned 18... yep a debutante, but knowing her, she didn't have the whole "debut" extravaganza. Which is fine actually, we both didn't want to dress up in gowns anyway... we're the jeans type. haha. She still had a party though, simple, casual attire gathering with family and her high school friends, and it was all fun, and noisy actually.

Initially, my mother wanted me to sing during my sister's party, and I'm like, "what?? what am I going to sing?" Well, I meant that, i knew nothing appropriate to sing for a debut. and I also meant I didn't want to. I'm shy. naks. I sing better in the comfort of my own home. hehehe....

How this song got into my head, I don't know... but it just did. This is one of about 7 songs that I kept singing all through the start of the previous school year, so it's no stranger. but yes, I'm still wondering how it got back in my head...

It's an old song yet again, and I'm pretty sure I've heard it way back when, but I only got around liking it and getting familiar with it when I heard Joely Fisher sing it in one episode of Zoe Busiek about a year ago or so... I'm not so much of a fan of Dionne Warwick, but I like this song very much.

This was released as the B-side to Warwick's single "Any Old Time Of The Day." An influential DJ in New York City named Murray The K decided this was the hit, so he played it instead of "Any Old Time Of The Day." Warwick's record company wasn't happy with this, but listeners agreed with Murray The K and "Walk On By" became the hit.

This must have really been a hit because even one British rock band, The Stranglers recorded their own rock version of the song. Which... well... I don't really know how to react... lol.

If you see me walking down the street
And I start to cry each time we meet
Walk on by, walk on by
Make believe
that you don't see the tears
Just let me grieve
in private 'cause each time I see you
I break down and cry
And walk on by

.:: Listen
.:: FULL LYRICS

8 comments:

WOOT! said...

teka..ayan na ba yung kinanta mo sa debut??yang any old time of the day??..hmm ikaw kelan magdedebut??

najjems said...

wala akong kinanta kasi nahiya ako! hehe... tagal pa ko... 16 ako ngayon, Nov pa birthday ko... that's means... next year pa! ^_^

G said...

hmm..never heard of the song..but the lyrics are nice! hehe.

Anonymous said...

ok, i'll try not to make a fool out of myself on this one.

Christopher Cross has a great version of this one, which was included in the Starbucks albums...

...jazzed up fusion-like version.

download and play.

P.S.

^^ bump! may email na ako sa'yo.

Anonymous said...

i've never heard of the song.. :( haha.. i love the lyrics though.. <3

ohyeah, ive moved to a new site.. please change the link to http://oh.so-stellar.org thankies!

& said...

hay. daan lang... walk on by. parang narinig ko na yan. hehe. wow. you have a good voice siguro

NAKS naman si sabrina! may career na!

nyahaha. sana hindi masira ang kasiyahan sa kanta mo. ang lungkot masyado. NYAHA. daan lang sab. comment ka rin sakin ha.

Kay said...

Hi Sabrina,

Hey, how cool is that song? It brings back good old memories...I used to listen to that song to sleep when I was abt 18 or 19yrs of age...hee

And looking at Dionne Warwick..reminds me of a tv show called 'the Solid Gold' back in the 80s' here in Singapore..missed that show...full of entertainment n great singers...hmm

Anyways, happy belated bday to ur sister and hope the bday party was great...sige sige

Anonymous said...

hello sabrina... i have to tell you something veeery weird. My name is Sabrina too, I'm 25 and I'm part peruvian, american, italian and I've lived in Mexico for twenty years. This morning I had a song stuk in my head... I could only remember a few words from the chorus. I wrote is google: if you see me walking by. And your page appeard. Songs stuck in Sabrina's head.
okkkkk!! kinda freaked out!!!!
good luck in everything! you have a cute page!
xoxo
Sabrina