4.23.2006

Somebody To Love - Queen

I first heard of this song when Anne Hathaway was singing it on a piano for a bunch of giants. yes, Ella Enchanted, that's the one. I liked the song very much, but at the time, it was something I easily forgot about...

Few weeks later, I learned that the song was actually a Queen song, and I was very surprised. Not sure why, but my reaction was "Yuga?! Queen na gali!??" What was even funny was that a few days before, Queen was featured in American Idol, and it took me a few days to realized this was the song that Eliott Yamin performed on the show. (he's my idol by the way... siya at si Katharine..weeee..)

So now, I keep listening to these three versions of the song, Queen's, Anne's and Eliott's. And I'm singing my version around the house as well.. hehe..

Released on November 12, 1976, Somebody to love was written by Freddie Mercury. This was first single off of the album A Day at the Races. The song's kind of a rock ballad, and it works. But I find it even more interesting because they made it sound like a gospel choir in the background, but it's really only the band members voices (Freddie Mercury Brian May and Roger Taylor) multitracked to create that impression.

Wikipedia says "The lyrics, especially combined with the gospel influence, create a song about faith, desperation and soul-searching; the singer questions both the lack of love experienced in his life and the role and existence of God." I love it.

(He wants help)
Every day - I try and I try and I try -
But everybody wants to put me down
They say I'm goin' crazy
They say I got a lot of water in my brain
Got no common sense
I got nobody left to believe
Yeah - yeah yeah yeah


.:: Listen
.:: FULL LYRICS

7 comments:

UBODngLUMPIA said...

yan ang gusto ko sa queen eh.. dahil sa blending nila nagiging unique yung mga kanta nila:) astig...

kay elliot din boto ko:)

Anonymous said...

sabr!na,

i was just listening to queen on my way to work today. it was at this crappy radio station here in manila. surprisingly, they play decent folk rock in the wee hours of dawn.

so it went from the haunting love of my life to freddie mercury's masterpiece bohemian rhapsody. it was like a three-of-a-kind from one artist, and they were about to play princes of the universe, which was queen's song that was also the theme for the early 90's tv series the highlander.

queen, as a band, rocks the big one because they were a genre on their own. classical music roots of brian may and freddie plust the era's rock influence created a good mix. that's why they are the legends that they are today.

hay. makes me want to pull out my old queen cd's when i get home later.

Anonymous said...

^ what the hell?

that's not right at all.

cars said...

finally! a song i actually know! haha.. wow.. you really dig in to this stuff about music! i admire you for that.. ;)

ok.. what the fudge is that video up there.. O.O

najjems said...

oo nga, kakainis ang taong yan.... okay lang, nadedelete ko naman ksi comments niya..

Anonymous said...

Queen? by any chance...naging queen ba ang name ng band kasi Freddie is gay? question lang un ha.

Yeah, naalala ko lang, yung mga lyrics na kinanta ni Elliot...it was nice but it wasn't my favorite queen song..and yeah, may obvious gospel influence talaga un. Elliot..right now? sorry pero si Katharine or Chris yung bet ko. hehe

najjems said...

hahaha.. hindi ko alam kung bakit naging queen pangalan nila.. sige, research natin. alam ko lng kasi previous name ng band "Smile".

yep, elliot and katharine ako... third sa akin si chris